By now most of us have heard about REI’s #OptOutside campaign. Outdoor supply retailer REI, or Recreational Equipment, Inc., is closing all of its stores this Black Friday to encourage would-be shoppers to enjoy the outdoors. My favorite part? REI’s employees are getting a paid day off to #OptOutside as well!
I have to admit – I’ve been a Black Friday shopper in the past. I know, I know – shame on me. I have a hard time resisting a good deal, and waking up early the morning after Thanksgiving used to be a fun tradition. Ever since stores began opening earlier and earlier, now creeping in to dinner time on Thanksgiving Day, I’ve had a hard time justifying the craze. This year I decided to set a goal to purchase all (or at least most) of my Christmas gifts locally, and I’ve already made a list of Rochester-based retailers and businesses to visit for everyone I’ll be shopping for. This means I’ll be skipping Black Friday to #ShopSmall on Small Business Saturday.
Since my #SmallBizSat plans leave me free on Friday, I’ve decided to #OptOutside with Black Friday Hikyoga™ at Corbett’s Glen Nature Park in Penfield, NY. You can learn more or register for this event at www.helloyogagirl.com/optoutside/. Interested in what else there is to do outdoors this Black Friday? I’ve put together a list of ten ways to #OptOutside right here in Rochester!
- Run the Rochester Marathon course (or part of it, anyway!) on the Genesee Riverway Trail through Turning Point Park.
- Climb the stairs on the Devil’s Bathtub Trail at Mendon Ponds Park.
- Mountain bike on the winding trails at Dryer Road Park.
- Play a game of kickball with friends on one of the many fields at Genesee Valley Park.
- Hike the Crescent Trail footpath in Perinton, NY. Enjoy the view after climbing to the Woodcliff scenic overlook!
- Cycle the Erie Canalway Trail.
- Go birding at Durand Eastman Park.
- Geocaching at Highland Park.
- Play tennis at Cobbs Hill Park.
- Join me at Hikyoga™ at Corbett’s Glen Nature Park!
How will you #OptOutside this Black Friday? Share your plans in the comments below!
3 thoughts on “Ten Ways to #OptOutside In Rochester, NY”
I’ll be putting all those unhealthy but yummy turkey-day carbs to use and going for a run. 🙂 Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s a fantastic idea – enjoy your run! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person